Anesthesias

Painless Procedures

Anästhesist Dr. med. Stefan Blönnigen

Painless procedures are of special importance to us because generally no one considers an orthodontic treatment as being comfortable. Today’s anesthesia enables precise and secure dosages and gentle anesthetic procedures, which are of course carried out in our practice on a daily basis.

Our anesthesiologist Dr. med. Stefan Blönningen (anesthesiologist, ambulant anesthesiology) and his team have at their disposal perfectly equipped work stations, and are making use of state-of-the-art anesthetic techniques that allow them to tailor the anesthesia exactly to the procedure, and to carry out painless examinations and treatments. In our practice and our clinic, we offer all current and gentle anesthetic procedures such as general anesthesia, twilight sleep (analgesic sedation) and monitoring. Both, out-patient and in-patient care are possible.

During the anesthetic assessment, the surgeon and the anesthesiologist together recommend the anesthetic procedure that is best for the patient; they explain specifics and details and agree with the patient on the further procedure.


General anesthesia

The general anesthesia disables the consciousness, sensation of pain and the active mobility of the muscles for a certain time.

This general anesthesia is generally perceived as being positive and relaxing because it is up to the latest standards regarding both the supporting machines and the used medication. Children and adolescents who are very afraid of a surgical procedure are offered a shielded, professionally conducted anesthesia. Nervous or sensitive adults, who have to undergo an operation in the anatomic vicinity of tender structures such as nerves and vessels, must choose between general anesthesia and analgesic sedation in order to eliminate involuntary movements that might result in injuries. Also, significantly increased gag or swallow reflexes that some patients suffer from can be controlled by using one of the a.m. anesthetic procedures.

For patients who suffer from internistic conditions, such as e.g. cardiovascular disorders, we recommend a general anesthesia in order to prevent additional and thus possibly extreme stress. More and more often, patients say that they do not wish to notice anything during the treatment and decide in favor of the painless sleep (general anesthesia) rather than local anesthesia. However you decide – we guarantee reliable anesthesia techniques and precise monitoring.

Sedation

Analgesic sedation / twilight sleep means the anesthetization with drugs while being sedated and completely relaxed. Unlike with general anesthesia, the patient reacts to external stimuli and when being verbally addressed, and breathes on his own.

90% of all patients do not remember anything after waking up from their twilight sleep; the remaining 10% remember only pieces of what has happened, however, without having any unpleasant memories. The pain therapy for the postoperative period is initiated by means of locally anesthetizing the area that will be operated and is carried out not until the anesthetic procedure. As a result, the patient will only feel the numbness of the local anesthesia when waking up, but there will be no pain caused by the operation.

MKG Chirurgie Düsseldorf Slider 2